Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Dark Angel, Her Prayer

The Dark Angel
I
Her Prayer


You know who I am. But how you know me depends on who you are. I am the truth that stares back at you whenever you dare to look deep into the mirror. If not, then I am the lie that you refuse to see when you stare into her eyes and ask her if she loves you. A true reflection of the lies you live, or the lies reflected in her eyes you believe. An ugly truth, a comfortable lie. I've lost the count of times my body has lied to a man as his asked me if I love him.


But this story is not about any of us. This story is about a little girl, the little girl I once was. No, that lil girl doesn't stare back at me in the mirror, for she is long gone. An innocence lost forever, never to return to indifferent world. This is the story of that little girl.

And of the dark angel who took her away, never to return.

*******

She ran down the long corridor on the second floor. She hurried down the stairs, paused briefly as she looked around and then headed for the window. She sneaked out of the window into the backyard. She ran towards the perimeter wall and went down on her knees and elbows as she made her way out through a small hole in the wall, she had seen many a rabbits hop around the backyard and go through that hole.

Once on the other side she got up, brushed dust off her baby pink pyjamas and started to run again. She kept running till she she could hear nothing but her own heavy breathing and a stray cricket here and there. Crickets! She looked around, suddenly she realised where she was. Anyone else would have frozen in fear or be brave enough to scream. But all that she managed was...

"WoW".

Everyone knew you were not supposed to go into the woods. The woods were just beyond the walls of the orphanage. No one ventured near the woods, even during the day. But she was a little girl who wasn't afraid of the dark woods. In fact she wasn't afraid of anything. She was fearless in ways only the innocent can be, their biggest gift, their fatal curse. That's why when she realised where she was she was amazed by her own feat as by the fact that it looked so beautiful.

The crescent moon shone through canopy of the leaves above her. A calm breeze rustled the leaves, wolves howled somewhere in the distance and she couldn't see her hand in front of her. But she could see a pair of glowing eyes in the dark. The eyes came nearer to her and gleaming white fangs bared themselves, she didn't move an inch. A low growling echoed around as a few more pairs of eyes appeared around her. Soon she was surrounded by a pack of wolves from three sides. As she turned around the wolves growled louder and she stopped dead in her tracks. The wolves inched closer, their intentions dripping from their fangs. Anyone else would have frozen in fear, too scared to even scream. But she quickly turned and ran.

She could hear the wolves following her, gaining on her. And just when she thought they would be upon her, something strange happened. A wolf fell down with a loud thud. She turned around, she couldn't see any wolves, but hear them whimper. A whipping sound, a rush of wind and she briefly saw the wolves cowering away before the were again blotted out by darkness.

She looked up, from where the whipping sound seemed to come. She realised she was in a clearing in the forest for she could see the black sky and the stars at its periphery. Suddenly the stars seemed to move inwards and take up their place in the empty dark sky. It took her a moment to figure out what she was witnessing, it would take few more to sink in...

"Are they wings?" No reply. But she was sure he was folding his wings. She couldn't see him at all, but knew when he moved for that part of sky and forest seemed to go black. "Are you an angel?" Still no reply. But rustle of leaves told her he was moving away from her. A similar rustle of leaves told him she was following him. He stopped, so did the rustling sound. He turned around, she was smiling back at him.

"They are wings, aren't they? Can I touch them, please? I've never touched wings of an angel."

"I am no angel". The breeze suddenly went still. The crickets went silent. Suddenly a dead calm took over the forest, a frozen dead calm. The lil girl seemed to be the only one not affected by it. She went ahead and touched his half outstretched wing, glistening black leather. Her fingers followed the trail of cold black blood to a small wound. The wing shuddered at her warm touch, a sensation they had long forgotten. Reflexively his hand grabbed her wrists. She winced at the cold steely grip.

"Sorry" he apologetically let go, staring at his hand as if it was no longer his, the warm sensation felt so unreal.

A couple of fingers touched his forefinger and curled themselves around them. Soon his finger was in grip of her tiny hand, a grip far stronger than of any demon he had fought in the depths of hell.

That is how the lil girl met her Dark Angel. And that is how an angel outcast from heavens met his lil angel. That night he walked her and they talked all the way. She told him she was playing hide and seek and lost her way in the forest. He told her he was also lost and searching for a way home. Her innocence and love filled him with hope. When they reached the edge of the woods dawn was about to break in the easern sky. She wanted him to come with her but he refused. He couldn't step out of the woods, definitely not into the light.

"The light burns my wings".

"When will I see you again?"

"Whenever you need me."

"Promise?"

"Yes." And with that promise he spread his wings, rose and flew back into the dark forest.

And she watched him fly away. Finally she turned and the imposing orphanage and its cathedral seemed to rise like a behemoth. She waited for first rays of sun to paint the horizon red before she went back in, steps heavy with trepidation.

******

Later that night that lil girl wrote a prayer, a song for her dark angel. Words that went with her, words I don't remember. But few days ago I heard a song and that was what triggered all these memories that made me write this story.

Will tell rest of the story later. I got kohl streaming down my face and tears are very bad for business. I have to remove all their traces and get ready for next one. Need to turn off the lights. I'll put the song on and you can listen to it. Maybe you will hear that lil girls cries that I never heard, that no one heard. No one, but her Dark Angel.

Angel - put sad wings around me now
Protect me from this world of sin
So that we can rise again

Oh angel - we can find our way somehow
Escaping from the world we're in
To a place where we began

And I know we'll find
A better place and peace of mind
Just tell me that it's all you want - for you and me
Angel won't you set me free

Angel remember how we'd chase the sun
Then reaching for the stars at night
As our lives had just begun

When I close my eyes I hear your velvet wings and cry
I'm waiting here with open arms - oh can't you see
Angel shine your light on me

Oh angel will we meet once more - I'll pay
When all my sins are washed away
Hold me inside your wings and stay
Oh! Angel take me away

Put sad wings around me now
Angel take me far away
Put sad wings around me now
So that we can rise again
[ Judas Priest - Angel ]



[ the story concludes in - The Dark Angel, His Promise ]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DA,

breath-taking...touching...
felt like a lil girl again...
pink pyjamas , micky mouse bedsheet, favourite blue pillow

and somehow brings backs a sense a familiarity , little red riding hood finding santa? reminds me of the warm christmas story

li'l dove metamorphosed again :).

but i have a promise too now, to look forward to ;)

will comment again when you are done with it.
LP

Anonymous said...

This was fragile delicate. The innocence of childhood was pure and beautiful as the first light of dawn, nay beautiful is a very weak word . All Ican say that Ican see it at feel it but have no words to express myself.
The dark angel well knew something similar............

will comment after you finish writing.and his wings they burned in light well will tell you that was interesting

Nupur

Anonymous said...

hmm...
i'm a tad little overwhelmed right now, i dont wanna let go of the "feel" of this enchanting tale hence will comment again later :)
but a few days back, i was bugging a buddy of mine about a song which i couldn't comprehend entirely...now i can.

She lived like she knew nothing lasts
Didn't care to look like anyone else
And she was beautiful, so beautiful
I still hear her laugh like she's here

Shower it down on all the young
It isn't so wrong to have such fun

Forever angel
I hope they love yo like we do
Forever angel
I'll be proud to be like you
Be like you
(I'll be proud to be like you)

Does the sun shine up at you when you are looking down?
Do you get along with the others around?

It's got to be better than before
You don't need to worry now you're gone

Forever angel
I hope they love yo like we do
Forever angel
I'll be proud to be like you
Be like you
Just like you

And when i go to sleep at night
I'll thank you for each blessed thing sorrounding me
For every fall I'll ever break
Each moment`s breath I wanna taste
Confidence and conscience
Decadent extravagance
Never ending providence
For loving when I had the chance

Forever angel
I hope they love yo like we do
Forever angel
I'll be proud to be like you

Angel - CORRS

Bring on the next installment soon ;)

Anonymous said...

I followed your footprints :)Shoot, you are writing more than I am lately, and I am the one who wants to be a published writer. I don't suppose that will ever truly happen because I use too many excuses.

requiem said...

Neen, delighted to see you here. so now you know what I been upto (: and you just made me feel guilty for not reading your stuff, I know your address, don't need footprints ):

LP, yeah, you got lil dove right (: will be posting finale within an hour or less.

nupur, childhood is always fragile and delicate... hope you too like the finale, though it gets darker.

Pakhi... see, answers have a way of coming on their own, as long as you ask the right questions... I too love that song [need to hunt it down] and thanks to you "I With You" is my caller tune now... can't get that song outta my head (: