Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Dark Angel, His Promise

The Dark Angel
II
His Promise



Give me a few dreams
without the shadows
or stifled screams
touch of tears in eyes forlorn
hollow laughter
innocence to mourn

No, these may not be her words. But these are the words that I see as I look around the walls within me, the walls that once held that lil girl. The graffiti on the walls by a lil girl clawing for an escape, an escape that almost never came.

*******

That day she was severely 'punished' for running away. She couldn't walk for next few days. Every night she sat by the window in her room, staring out into the dark forest, silently. The chilly winds reminded her of his touch and whipping of his wings. Many a times she thought she saw him rise in the night sky to catch a glimpse of her. The sudden warmth around her told her it was really him. It was only then she could go to sleep, to be woken up by nightmares. And then again she stared out towards the dark forest till she felt that warmth again, and went to sleep, again.

The day she was fit to walk again she waited for sun to set. And the moment sky turned black she slipped into the backyard. Just like that day she was aware of 'them' following her. Just like that day she ran towards the perimeter wall and went down on her knees and elbows as she made her way out through a small hole in the wall. Just like that day, she got up, brushed dust off her baby pink pyjamas and started to run again. She kept running till she could hear nothing but her own heavy breathing and a stray cricket here and there. And just like that day, she ran into the pack of wolves.

But this time 'they' were prepared, they had torches with them. The wolves of the forest versus the wolves of the civilised world. The forest wolves had no chance, they weren't savage enough. With wolves gone 'they' turned towards her, grotesque smiles in the shadows of flickering torchlight. She screamed, turned to run but tripped on a stone and fell on her head. She passed out. One of 'them' stepped towards her.

Swoosh!

One instant he was there, next he was gone. Others exchanged glances, waved torches to scare away an invisible enemy that wasn't there. An extinguished torch fell amongst them, a headless torso followed. The predator turned to prey and huddled close to each other.

Swoosh! Swoosh!

A rush of air blew out all the torches. They looked around. The hair at back of their necks stood up. Ice-cold air filled up their lungs and pinned them down to their stomachs. And then, night descended amongst them. Their hair were blown by the sudden rush of wind as he spread his wings. They couldn't see his face underneath long black hair but could make out his head was bent. They died a thousand deaths from one heartbeat to another before he took a deep breath and slowly looked up at them. All they could see were a pair of fiery red eyes, literally glowing with fire.

"Boo".

And they all ran away, falling over each other.

He turned towards her and lifted her gently in her arms. He ran his clawed hand gently over her forehead, her wound disappeared as black blood oozed from his forehead. He started to sing a melancholic lullaby, the only kind he knew, to wake her up. The wolves of the forest returned and sat in a circle around them, mesmerised, along with other animals of the woods.

She stirred in her arms and slowly opened her eyes. He smiled, surprised that he still knew how to smile. The wolves howled in joy. She threw her tiny arms around him and hugged him tight. Suddenly the wolves became very quiet, something was wrong. They all turned towards the edge of the forest. Dozens of torches coming their way.

"You must leave now." he said to her. She whined and cried but finally relented. She started to run towards the orphanage, careful to avoid the mob. She was almost at the edge of the forest when she heard a wolf howl. She could see a fire in the distance, a fire that was growing at a rapid pace. Soon she saw the mob running towards her. She got out of its way. The mob ran out of the forest, screaming. The forest was on fire.

"The light burns my wings" His words echoed in her ears. She looked at eastern sky, sun was about to rise, already the horizon was a deep shade of red. She ran towards the center of the forest, where she had left him, or so she thought.

There were blazing fires all around. Before she knew she was surrounded by fire, but she wasn't concerned about herself. A wolf writhed in agony as it got caught in flames. She looked around to find huge trees on fire all around her, and one of them falling towards her. She screamed and closed her eyes. It all went dark. She never felt a thing again.

Burn my soul
washaway their sins
make me new
just like you

Hold my hand
take me to a dream
of you and me
where we are free
Free to laugh,
free to cry
Free of joy,
free of pain
Free to die
and live again

The dark angel took her in his embrace, his wings all around her. The burning tree landed on his back. Soon fiery remains of other trees also rained fire on his wings. His hair caught fire, revealing the scarred face underneath. But the fireballs just bounced off his wings. So he stood, holding her in his arms, his wings around her till final remnants of fire prepared for the last sigh. Entire forest was reduced to ash and in middle of the smoldering ruins stood an ashen angel with lil girl in his arms.

Finally the wings moved, the ash fell off his back and he stood tall. He took a long look at her... Fortunate Asleep. He looked at the skies, first rays of sun were streaming across the sky. With the forest gone, there was no place to hide for him. And he had no more reason to hide. Clouds of ash went up in air as he flapped his wings once, twice and again and again.

Slowly he rose into the air, holding her close. As a sunbeam caught his wing and burnt a hole in it, he kissed her forehead. As he rose further his wings caught fire, yet he continued to rise with her. Soon his wings were on fire, wings of fire. The black angel turned to fire, a fire that got brighter and brighter. Soon he was white as light and so was she, a light so white that sun looked like a pale shadow of its usual bright self. And then, suddenly the light went out. There was nothing in the sky, a vanilla sky. Sun slowly regained its color. Life went on.

The little girl was gone, taken by her dark angel, never to return. In the middle of the ashen wasteland lay a woman born in the scarred body of a little girl.

*******

This is the story of the lil girl I once was, story of her end and my beginning. I am nothing but ashen remains of sins wrought upon her, my life is nothing but a penance for her. Do I miss her? Do I wish she was still around? Definitely not. Only reason I am able to sleep in the morning is the knowledge that she still lives, in a world made for her, in the only world fit enough for her. But I do wish to be that little girl, again.

So I put myself in front of wolves every night, for them to feast on my flesh and bone. Every time they rip a chunk off me, it feels like a step closer to that lil girl. I don't cry, I don't scream but I do pray and this is my prayer...

Burn my soul
washaway their sins
make me new
just like you

Hold my hand
take me to a dream
of you and me
where we are free
Free to laugh,
free to cry
Free of joy,
free of pain
Free to die
and live again

Hope sustains life, and I hope the Dark Angel remembers his promise, once again.


[ The End ]

12 comments:

destinychild said...

O

destinychild said...

Okay! The woman was psychoactive.. the kind of things one does when one cant deal with the torment and the pain.. visualizing a dark angel who burns but carries the innocence away in light..

She tries to protect the innocence.. dissociate it from her persona.. such that it's no longer 'her'.. but you know what.. deep inside.. in the middle of the night when darkness falls.. she knows its that charred innocence that comes back to her in the form of memory of that little girl she says she's not..

Loved the angel part again! :)

Anonymous said...

This was a visual to be seen then read and watched it in my mind. Could see the dark angel coming down to the small child. could even see and feel the wings the delicate movements of those wwings

This was a war between the evil and the innocent.
The lines

Burn my soul
washaway their sins
make me new
just like you
Hold my hand...........


Take her to the promised lands . well we all have those golden lands of our dreams promised lands where we can do everything.

Really loved the dark angel

Anonymous said...

living in a world where she could be a lil girl again and thats how her days go , and the pain she withstands is an attempt to liberate herself of her now vodooed cursed soul....
she inflicts pain upon herself, tormenting her until perpetual siesta engulfs her pain and sets her free

hmm...

a rise from the netherland ,looking out for the dark angel who took away the pious innocence away with him...

spell binding yarns of love and pain.
been listening to "I'm with you" ever since :)

Anonymous said...

hmm... no more maverick tales.. wonder what happened to a renege maverick.. and wonder what happened to the pieces of his heart...

Unknown said...

Hi,

How are you? I got free a couple of days before.

Dark angel...a beautiful title n an equally beautiful fable. Loved reading it, esp the first half, its so so sweet n ‘innocent’ [both of them, the dark angel is equally innocent, believe me, a coconut (well thts wat I call ppl who are one :))]

Now, now, I have ruffled enugh through the long list of comments, both at blogspot n sulekha, but I still didn’t get the ending perfectly. Let me know the writer’s mind. As far as this reader’s mind is concerned, she simply loved it, and somehow she doesn’t think the story was sad, even when summed up with the ending.

Some lines and phrases are superbly woven (I have seen them repeated a few times in the comments already) and this story (by requiem default) moves as a picture....

Know at times when she sneaked out of her orphange , stumbled down, reached the woods in the dead of the night, was scanned with gleaming eyes, was surrounded by wolves,....whenever she was in danger, I became very anxious, but duuno y something deep inside kept consoling me that everything will be fine. Well , may be cos of the title,
‘The Dark Angel’ . know its so apt n so positive despite of having a dark feel to it.

It is a lovely fairy tale n I was reading it as innocently as it is, but the ending broke my flow, illusioned me and zapped me into reality. And cos the ending had disrupted my free-flow, I didn’t want to figure it out..no, I wont. Only the one who had put it there will have to explain it.that’s final… and done.. wat say...? :)

Take care

Dew said...

too good ..amazing.. read it in office with my boss sitting on seat next to me ..got it read again in some free time.. must say amazing

Anonymous said...

wherez the promised story ? :(
found this song in my song database today. its the song which comes up in the opening credits of the movie "never ending story". immediately thought of you.
and its got some funny elements in it , a sitar interlude :)


http://www.esnips.com/doc/d9c2af8d-e8e4-4032-8e26-f1ee43c5e928/Never-Ending-Story---Limahl

Anonymous said...

no story yet :(

requiem said...

destinychild, well you got the psychoanalytical part of the story (:

nupur, pakhi thanks (: have already told you what I had to say.

anonymous 1.2.3.the new story [or half of it] is already up... (: enjoy. I remember that music, in fact I remember the movie too, saw it when I was 13.

penguin, read in office with boss next to you :O wow, that is something... am flattered (: hope you get to read it again (: and loved the singapore pics... esp the shots of skyline.

requiem said...

Aanchal, was waiting to post my next one before replying to comments. as with all my stories, the "light" of story depends only on readers... I like to give them that much freedom. you right about title, wanted to give a dark yet comforting one... like that coconut thing, but like the dragon in red dragon story, I see him as a misunderstood one... a fallen angel awaiting redemption..

wonder if you noticed the post tags, they tell a story of their own (: send me a note with your questions, will explain it all (: whatsay?

Anonymous said...

this story reminds me of how i tried to stop this innocence go too.they just slips away when u became a human.